The mission of our School of Graduate Studies is to define and support excellence in graduate education at Nipissing University. To achieve this goal, the primary roles and functions of the School of Graduate Studies are to articulate a vision of excellence for the graduate community, to provide an inter-university perspective on graduate education, to enhance the intellectual and research community of scholars among graduate students and graduate faculty and to serve as an advocate for graduate education and graduate students within the institution.
- Master of Arts in History
- Master of Arts in Sociology - Applied Social Research
- Master of Education
- Masters of Environmental Science/Studies
- Master of Science in Kinesiology
- Master of Science in Mathematics
- PhD in Education with a focus on Educational Sustainability
The School of Graduate Studies operates on a trimester basis, with three terms defined as: Fall Term (September to December); Winter Term (January to April); and Spring/Summer Term (May to August). The academic year begins with a Fall Term followed by a Winter Term. In the following table, a year is based on three terms: fall, winter, spring/summer. Please note that only Master of Education, Master of Environmental Science/Studies (thesis route), Master of Science in Kinesiology, and Master of Science in Mathematics (thesis route) graduate programs offer the flex-time completion option.
|Doctor of Philosophy in Education||4 years||not available|
|Master of Arts in History (1 year MRP)||1 year||not available|
|Master of Arts in Sociology (1 year MRP)||2 years||not available|
|Master of Science in Mathematics (1 year MRP)||2 years||2 years + 6 flex terms|
|Master of Science in Kinesiology||2 years||4 years|
|Master of Environmental Science / Master of Environmental Studies (1 year MRP)||2 years||2 years + 6 flex terms|
|Master of Education||2 years||2 years + 6 flex terms|
Tuition and Fees
- Master of Arts in History Tuition, Fees and Payments
- Master of Arts in Sociology Tuition, Fees and Payments
- Master of Education Tuition, Fees and Payments
- Master of Environmental Sciences and Master of Environmental Studies Tuition, Fees and Payments
- Master of Science in Kinesiology Tuition, Fees and Payments
- Master of Science in Mathematics Tuition, Fees and Payments
- PhD in Education Tuition, Fees and Payments
- Part-Time Masters Programs Tuition, Fees and Payments (available to grandfathered part-time student accounts only)
Funding and Financial Aid - Scholarships, Bursaries and Awards
Funding is available to graduate students from both internal and external sources. Internal funding includes teaching/research assistantships, faculty research grants, and Nipissing Graduate Scholarships. The value of these scholarships varies. Students are also encouraged to compete for scholarships from the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC), the Natural Science and Engineering Research Council (NSERC), the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), the Ontario Graduate Scholarships (OGS), the Canada Graduate Scholarship, and the Mackenzie King Memorial Scholarship.
Graduate Information Session
Each year, we host a graduate information session for prospective graduate students at our North Bay campus (date and room to be confirmed). This session will provide an opportunity to gain more information on available graduate programs, funding and research opportunities. Students will also have the opportunity to meet prospective graduate advisors, tour graduate facility and learn more about services available at Nipissing. Click here for more information about our Graduate Information Session.
School of Graduate Studies Events Calendar
Stay up-to-date on what our School of Graduate Studies is up to by checking out the upcoming events in our calendar!
Three Minute Thesis Competition
3MT is a university wide competition for Masters and Doctoral students in which participants present their research and its wider impact in 3 minutes or less to a panel of non-specialist judges. The challenge is to present complex research material in an engaging, compelling way, using only one slide. The three minute thesis competition provides graduate students with an opportunity to refine skills that can be transferred after graduation to diverse career paths. Distilling research into a clear form, without over-simplifying or making overly-complex, and highlighting the wider implications of this research are important skills to carry into post-graduate employment and public service. Click here for more information about the Three Minute Thesis Competition.
Thesis Defence Dates
Students, faculty, staff and administrators from other Nipissing University campuses who are interested in attending a defence via videoconference should contact the School of Graduate Studies by email at firstname.lastname@example.org at least one day prior to the defence. Click here to visit the School of Graduate Studies Events Calendar, which includes thesis defence dates.
- General University Policies
- Academic Policies and Regulations
- Graduate Registration Policy
- Graduation Policy
- Intellectual Integrity and Research
- Student Code of Rights and Responsibilities
- Submission Timeline
- Supervisory and Examination Committees
- Defence Process
- MRP/Thesis Examination Committee Report
- After the Defence
- Formatting your MRP/Thesis/Dissertation
Graduate Student Resources
- Assistant Dean, Graduate Studies and Research, Associate ProfessorSchool of Graduate StudiesOfficeA208/A223-CExtension4669
- Chair, Graduate Studies in Education, ProfessorSchool of Graduate StudiesOfficeH336Extension4359Website—
- Research CoordinatorSchool of Graduate StudiesOfficeA209Extension4378Website—
- Secretary, Office of Graduate Studies and ResearchSchool of Graduate StudiesOfficeA205Extension4225Website—
- Dean, Graduate Studies and ResearchSchool of Graduate StudiesOfficeA204Extension4293Website—
- Graduate Studies CoordinatorSchool of Graduate StudiesOfficeA205Extension4292Website—
- Manager, Graduate Studies and ResearchSchool of Graduate StudiesOfficeA206Extension4644Website—