The Mature and Transfer Student Network is a transition program that supports mature students, college transfer students, university transfer students, and second degree students as they complete their degree at Nipissing University. Free social events, day trips, and workshops are planned for students to participate in throughout the academic year. These events and workshops change annually based on the needs and interests of participants. Some events hosted in the past have included: Paint Night, Horseback Riding, Getting Organized w/ Google workshop, Avoiding Burnout workshop, Night Skating at Arrowhead Provincial Park, trip to Science North and others! Events are often family friendly.
Students in the network are put in contact with a resource person in Student Learning and Transitions to help connect them with on-campus resources. This resource person is also available for Academic Success Coaching.
Mature Students are...
- students who are 20 years of age or older by the end of their first semester at Nipissing University,
- have been away from formal education (secondary school, community college, etc.) for at least the previous two years, and
- are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
This definition is used by Nipissing University for admissions purposes. In actuality, many students may identify as mature by virtue of having more life, educational, or professional experiences, having family or caregiving responsibilities, returning to studies after a number of years, or other additional life responsibilities. If this is you, please feel free to self-identify by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to opt in to support services offered by the Mature and Transfer Student Network.
College Transfer Students are...
- students who attend college prior to enrolling at Nipissing University, and
- may or may not have received advanced standing.
If you went to college but did not receive advanced standing, you are still considered a college transfer.
University Transfer Students are...
- students who have attended another university prior to enrolling at Nipissing University, and
- may or may not have received transfer credit(s).
If you went to another university but did not receive transfer credits, you are still considered a university transfer.
Second Degree Students are...
- students who have obtained a recognized university degree from an accredited university prior to enrollment at Nipissing University for a second degree program.
Student Experience Coordinator, Transfer Student Success
705 474 3450 ext 4151