Library users can borrow physical resources (books, DVDs, posters, kits etc.) using their valid student/staff/faculty card. Community members within our catchment area are issued a Harris Learning Library card.
Electronic resources (E-Resources) can be accessed by any current Nipissing student, staff or faculty members using your WebAdvisor credentials. Alumni and members of the North Bay community may access licensed electronic resources from designated workstations in the library. Open Access resources are available to everyone.
- Books - 120 days
- Kits, Posters and Puppets - 28 days
- Media (DVDs, audiobooks, etc.) - 14 days
Library patrons may renew their materials online by selecting “My Library Account” from the Menu drop down in Search, by phone at 705-474-3450 x4222, or in person. Please note that you may not be able to renew an item if the book is overdue, someone has requested it, or you have outstanding fines.
Holds / Requests
Fines and Fees
If an item is 30 days past its due date, the patron will be charged a $125 Replacement Charge for the item.
All accounts with more than $30 in fines will be blocked. Patrons with a blocked account will no longer be able to borrow items from the Library until their total fines are brought below the $30 limit.
Any Library charges can be paid at the Service Desk by cash or cheque (made payable to the Harris Learning Library) only. If you wish to make a payment by debit, please contact the Overdues Technician at 705-474-3450 x4570 for details.
Both the Harris Learning Library and the Commerce Court Library offer a variety of in-person services, including those listed below.
Harris Learning Library
- Research help (also available remotely) - please contact the Service Desk (705-474-3450 x 4221) for details
- Resources including books, kits, DVDs, audiobooks, puppets and more - please contact the Service desk (705-474-3450 x 4222) for details
- Study rooms (first come, first served)
- Desktop computers (Windows only)
- Free WiFi
- Photocopying and printing in both black and white (10 cents/pg), and colour (50 cents/pg), is available in the Learning Commons. Payment is made by loading money on your student / staff card from either the self serve machine in the Learning Commons or at the Circulation Desk.
- Self serve flatbed scanner (max. size 11 x 14)
- Microfilm / microfiche reader and printer
- VHS / DVD viewing station
Commerce Court Library
- Phone 705-474-7601x 5614 during open hours
Remote / Virtual
If you are outside of North Bay, or unable to come to campus, Library staff can help.
- For reference and research help, please contact the Service Desk (705-474-3450 x 4221)
- Distance Education (firstname.lastname@example.org) assistance for current students and faculty who do not live within commuting distance of the Harris Learning Library, and are not attending or teaching a course delivered through face-to-face instruction on a North Bay campus.
- Interlibrary Loans service is available.
- Access electronic resources and online databases through the OMNI search engine (select Search) or use our list of Databases