Nipissing Safe is the official safety app of Nipissing University. It integrates with safety and security systems to provide students, faculty, staff and visitors with added safety on campus.
The app will send you important safety alerts and provide instant access to campus safety resources.
Campus Access During COVID-19
All individuals accessing campus are required to provide proof of vaccination via the Nipissing Safe App. Please ensure your app is up to date by following the instructions below.
Using the App
Completing the COVID-19 Self-Assessment
To use the COVID-19 Self-Assessment Tool:
- Follow prompts and answer questions as accurately as possible
- Confirm answers and click "Continue"
- Launch App
- Click "COVID-19 Resources and Self Assessment"
- Click "Self Assessment Tool"
- Select proper description option (Student, Staff or faculty) (Contractors and visitors)
- If it is your first time using the tool, you are required to enter some identifying details
- Select proper affiliation (Staff, Faculty, Student, Contractor, Visitor)
- You will be asked to consent that you are aware that the app is meant as an aid and not a diagnostic tool
If self-assessment results are GREEN: individuals are approved for entry to campus buildings.
If self-assessment results are RED: individuals are not approved to enter campus buildings and should follow the recommendations provided.
Providing Proof of Vaccination
As per our COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, Nipissing University will allow individuals to attest to their vaccination status using the Nipissing Safe App during the period of September 7 to October 29, 2021. You can provide your attestation using the Vaccine Passport feature within the app.
After October 29, 2021, all individuals will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated by uploading their vaccination receipts using the Nipissing Safe App.
To upload proof of vaccination:
- Obtain your proof of vaccination receipts at covid19.ontariohealth.ca.
- Take a picture of your document or save a screenshot to your phone.
- Select the Vaccine Passport section of the Nipissing Safe App. Upload your proof of vaccination. (Web-based access to the Vaccine Passport is available for those without a smart device).
- Once you have uploaded your proof of vaccination, a yellow QR code will be generated, representing that your documents are “in review”. You will be permitted to access campus with this yellow QR code, provided you also receive a green “pass” QR code from the daily COVID-19 Self-Assessment tool. Once Human Resources has approved your documents, the QR code will change to blue.
For Individuals with an Approved Accommodation
- Select the Vaccine Passport section of the Nipissing Safe App, and select Begin application
- Select “I have an approved exemption”
- Follow the prompts as indicated, then select “submit”
- Once the information has been submitted, a yellow QR code will be generated, representing that your exemption status is “in review”. You will be permitted to access campus with this yellow QR code, provided you also receive a green QR code from the daily COVID-19 self-assessment tool. Once Human Resources has approved your status, the QR code will change to orange.
Updating the App
To ensure your app is up to date and all new features are usable, please complete the following steps:
- Launch App
- Click "About/preferences"
- Click "Data Update"
- Click "Check for updates"
External Visitors and Those Without a Smart Device
If you do not have a smart device and are unable to use the Nipissing Safe app to complete the vaccine passport, please use the link below to access a web-based version of the form.
Guests or other external visitors can also complete the vaccine passport via the link below:
App Safety Features
Emergency Contacts: Contact the correct services for the Nipissing University area in case of an emergency or a non-emergency concern
Panic Button / Mobile Blue Light: Send your location to Nipissing University security in real-time in case of a crisis
Friend Walk: Send your location to a friend through email or SMS on your device. Once the friend accepts the Friend Walk request, the user picks their destination and their friend tracks their location in real time; they can keep an eye on them to make sure they make it safely to their destination.
Tip Reporting: Multiple ways to report a safety/security concern directly to Nipissing University security.
Virtual Walk Home: Allow Campus Security to monitor a user’s walk. If a user feels unsafe when walking on campus, they can request a Virtual WalkHome and a dispatcher on the other end will monitor their journey until they reach their destination.
Safety Toolbox: Enhance your safety with the set of tools provided in one convenient app.
Notification History: Find previous Push Notifications for this app with the date and time.
Share Map with your Location: Send your location to a friend by sending them a map of your position.
Campus Maps: Navigate around the Nipissing University area.
Emergency Plans: Campus emergency documentation that can prepare you for disasters or emergencies. This can be accessed even when users aren’t connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data.
Support Resources: Access support resources in one convenient app to enjoy a successful experience at Nipissing University.
Safety Notifications: Receive instant notifications and instructions from Nipissing University safety when on-campus emergencies occur.
COVID-19 Self Assessment Tool: Complete your COVID-19 self assessment in order to access campus buildings.