Early in the 1980’s, an academic leader at Nipissing University reached out to the local Indigenous community and established an informal round table on education. The purpose of the group was to help guide the University’s direction in Indigenous post-secondary education. Building on the roundtable, in the early 1990’s a formal Aboriginal Council on Education (ACE) was established. Today the Nipissing University Indigenous Council on Education seeks to continue the partnerships developed with local Indigenous communities and to see those develop further and help to achieve Indigenous communities’ goals in education as well as those of Nipissing University. In 2015, the final report from the Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC) and 94 Calls to Action were released. The year 2016 marked the 20th year anniversary of the release of the Report of the Royal Commission on Aboriginal Peoples (RCAP). These pivotal reports highlighted a renewed discussion and focus on equity for Indigenous peoples but also the role institutions play in reconciliation.
The Nipissing University Indigenous Council on Education (NUICE) is an advisory body to and resource for the Office of Indigenous Initiatives and Nipissing University.
The NUICE exists to advance and to support Indigenous student success in all aspects of Nipissing University governance, academic and research programming. As an advisory group, the NUICE ensures the diverse perspectives of regional Indigenous communities, peoples and their knowledge are represented and reflected in Nipissing University governance.
The NUICE is mandated to recommend and advocate for programs that support Indigenous students and to promote engagement with Indigenous communities.
For information, contact:
Office of Indigenous Initiatives, Secretary
Tel: 705.474.3450, ext. 4899
- Atikameksheng Anishnawbek - Kim Nootchtai
- Dokis First Nation - Lois Lambert (Marthe Restoule)
- Nipissing First Nation - Nancy Allaire (Hillary McLeod)
- North Bay Indigenous Friendship Centre - Maurice Switzer
- Mushkegowuk Education - Joan Linklater
- Timiskaming First Nation - Allan McLaren
- True Self Employment and Training - Julie Roche
- Métis Nation of Ontario Mattawa Métis Council - Melanie Rose (Joyceline Rose)
- Métis Nation of Ontario North Bay Métis Council - Susan van der Rassel (Jeannie Vaillancourt)
- Nipissing University (student) - Page Chartrand
- President & Vice-Chancellor, Nipissing University - Dr. Kevin Wamsley
- Interim Provost & Vice-President Academic & Research - Dr. Carole Richardson
Faculty and Board of Governors Representative
- Dr. Pavlina Radia, Dean, Faculty of Arts and Science
- Dr. John Nadeau, Dean, Education and Professional Studies
- Dr. Jim McAuliffe, Dean, Graduate Studies and Research
- Fran Couchie, Nipissing First Nation, Board of Governors
- Dr. Casey Phillips, Assistant-Vice President Students
- Romeo Fournier, Director of Indigenous Initiatives
- Dr. Cindy Peltier, Chair, Indigenous Education
- Dr. Dan Walters, Associate Dean of Arts and Science
- Dr. Pat Maher, Dean of Teaching
- Dr. Chris Hachkowski, Principal, Indigenous Education Programs
- Debra Iafrate, Registrar