Biidaaban Youth Group (BYG) is an after school program where Nipissing University students offer FREE homework help and academic support to Indigenous youth in local not-for-profit organizations. They also host recreational activities, art activities and offer a snack to participants.
Under the guidance of a Student Leader, university Student Volunteers are on site to work with children and youth for one day per week, for 15 weeks throughout the academic year.
Biidaaban Youth Groups are offered at the following locations:
- Garden Village, Nipissing First Nation
- North Bay Indigenous Friendship Centre
- Nipissing University Campus
Groups run during the following weeks:
- Week 1: Oct 1 - Oct 5
- Week 2: Oct 22 - Oct 26
- Week 3: Oct 29 - Nov 2
- Week 4: Nov 5 - Nov 9
- Week 5: Nov 12 - Nov 16
- Week 6: Nov 19 - Nov 23
- Week 7: Nov 26 - Nov 30
- Week 8: Jan 7 - Jan 11
- Week 9: Jan 14 - Jan 18
- Week 10: Jan 21 - Jan 25
- Week 11: Jan 28 - Feb 1
- Week 12: Feb 4 - Feb 8
- Week 13: Feb 11 - Feb 15
- Week 14: Mar 4 - Mar 8
- Niminowaazmin (year end celebration): Sunday March 3, 2019 / 11:00am - 2:00pm
- Week 15: Mar 18 - Mar 22
Want to get involved?
- Interested in becoming a Student Leader for this program? Three part-time positions are available. Stay tuned for these job postings as they go online the week of August 27th, 2018.
- Interested in becoming a Student Volunteer for this program? Contact Christine Benoit 705-474-3450 x4586 or email@example.com.
To register your child at one of the Biidaaban Youth Group (BYG) locations, or if you have questions about BYG, contact Christine Benoit at 705-474-3450 ext. 4586. In some instances, free transportation can be made available from the child's school to the community organisation. Ask us how.