Frequently Asked International Exchange Questions

International Exchange Students - international students who are enrolled in an educational institution abroad and apply to study on exchange at Nipissing University for one semester or one full academic year.

International Degree-Seeking Students - international students who would like to obtain their full degree and graduate from Nipissing University. Degree seeking students typically study for 3-4 years at Nipissing University.

How do I apply for an exchange to Nipissing University?

Your home university must have a formal, signed, exchange agreement with Nipissing University.

If you currently study at one of our partner institutions you must first apply through your home institution for exchange. Once accepted, your international office will nominate you to study at Nipissing. We will then follow up with application information.

Am I a fee-paying exchange student?

Most exchange students will pay tuition fees to their home institution rather than Nipissing University. However, in certain cases, incoming international exchange student will pay tuition fees at the Canadian domestic rate. If you are a fee-paying exchange this will be noted in your acceptance letter from Nipissing University.

Fees for exchange students

Note: The fees are subject to increase each academic year.

What is the deadline to apply?

You must first apply through your home institution and once you are accepted and nominated to study at Nipissing we will send you all the application information including deadlines.

What are the application requirements?

You must meet the requirements to study on exchange from your home institution.

What are the study periods at Nipissing University?

Nipissing University offers three study semesters. However, the majority of classes are offered during the Fall and Winter semesters. Exchange students can study for 1 or 2 semesters during the fall and winter, typically September to April.

  • Fall Semester – September to December
  • Winter Semester – January to April
  • Spring Semester – May to August

Note: the exact start and end dates, including exam period, vary for each academic year. 

When will I be notified of my acceptance?

Exchange students will receive their acceptance information directly from the international office. For students studying for the fall and/or full year, this is typically by end of May previous the academic year of study. For students studying in the winter semester this is typically end of October following the fall semester.

How will I select my courses?

As part of your acceptance package you will receive a course pre-registration form and instructions on selecting courses. The international office will provide these to academic advising and they will register you in your courses.

Do I need a Study Permit?

If your study period is less than 6 months you do not need a Study Permit.

Visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website to download the Study Permit Guide Book. This publication provides information about how to apply from outside Canada if your study period is more than 6 months:

Am I permitted to work during my study period in Canada?

For information on working while you study please visit the CIC website for more information on the requirements:

What do I need to do to prepare for my trip to Canada?

You will receive information by email. This information will help you prepare for your journey to Canada and settling upon arrival. Additionally, joining the International Student Mentorship Program (ISMP) is a great way to meet other students and adjust to your new life in Canada.

As an international student am I guaranteed on-campus accommodations?

Exchange Students - Space is reserved in our 4 on-campus residences for exchange students. You can live in any of our residence complexes. For more information please visit our residence website.

Note: Exchange students are not required to pay their residence deposit prior to arrival at Nipissing. Please do not send money before arrival.

Is there assistance for off-campus housing?

Nipissing University offers off-campus housing support. Please visit our Off-Campus Living website.

What items are provided for exchange students living on-campus?

Students are provided with sheets, a pillow and quilt plus a kit containing dishes, cutlery and cooking pots. All utilities and phone service is included. There is no mandatory meal plan for the on-campus residences, but an optional meal plan is available.

What are the fees associated with doing an exchange at Nipissing University?

Fees for exchange students

Note: The fees are subject to increase each academic year.

What do I need to know about taxes and immigration?

Degree-Seeking Students must secure a Study Permit prior to their arrival in Canada. The process can take up to 45 days and longer in various regions. You will need to submit your “Student Acceptance Information Form, which Nipissing International will send you with your offer of admission, as proof of your acceptance and duration of your study period.

For more information visit: