OVGS Policies and Procedures
Ontario Visiting Graduate Student Program:
The Ontario Visiting Graduate Student Program allows a graduate student of an Ontario university (Home University) to take graduate courses at another Ontario university (Host University) while remaining registered at his/her own university. The OVGS Program allows the student to bypass the usual application for admission procedures. The student pays their normal fees to his/her Home University and is classed as a 'Visiting Graduate Student' at the Host University where he/she pays no fees.
The student completes an Ontario Visiting Graduate Student Application form. On this form the student must indicate the course(s) to be taken and the term during which the course is offered at the Host University. The form must be signed in this order:
- the student’s research supervisor or faculty advisor
- the Program Coordinator/Chair
- the Faculty Dean
- the Dean of Graduate Studies
The School of Graduate Studies will then send the form to the Host University for approval.
*Admission is not complete until all signatures have been obtained by the appropriate parties at the Home University, and the Department Chair and Graduate Dean of the Host University.
Nipissing University OVGS Procedure:
- The student completes the OVGS Application form and submits it to the following parties for approval, in this order:
- research supervisor or faculty advisor
- Program Coordinator/Chair
- Faculty Dean
- The Faculty Dean then sends the application to the School of Graduate Studies for the Dean of Graduate Studies and Research to approve.
- The School of Graduate Studies will send the form to the Host University for approval by the Graduate Dean.
- Once the form is submitted to the Host University, the student is considered registered in the course.
- The student obtains an official record (e.g. transcript) from the Host University and sends it to the School of Graduate Studies.
- The School of Graduate Studies forwards the transcript to the Registrar’s Office, Program Coordinator/Chair, and the Deans.
Failure to comply with the OVGS Policies and Procedure may result in the student’s application being denied.
- The course(s) selected must be at the graduate level and required for the student's degree program.
- Courses may not be 'extra’ (over and above degree requirements) or 'audit' courses for the student.
- If the student enrols in a course at another university that is not required for his/her degree requirements, the student will be billed the fee of the course through their Home University.
- The student is subject to any regulations of his/her Home University with respect to the maximum number of courses which may be taken at another Ontario university.
- Students may not complete more than 6 credits of their course requirements outside of Nipissing University or outside of the degree program.
Once the graduate office of the Host University receives the approved application form, the student is registered and enrolled in the course(s) for the term(s) indicated on the form. The student must pay his/her standard program/tuition fees to his/her Home University for the term(s) during which the course takes place.
Transfer of Credit:
By approval of the OVGS application form, the Home University agrees to credit work done at the Host University towards the student's degree program, so long as the student remains in good standing.
The student is responsible for arranging to have an official record (e.g. an official transcript) sent by the Host University to the School of Graduate Studies at the Home University as soon as the final mark is available. The student is required to pay any costs connected with this service (e.g. transcript charges). An interim report may be provided by the Host University in the form of a signed memorandum by the Instructor of the course. Failure to meet this responsibility may result in a failing grade for the OVGS course(s) at the Home University.
Responsibilities of the Visiting Graduate Student:
- To ensure that the Visiting Graduate Student application form is completed, submitted, and approved by all required parties (see above) of his/her Home University prior to the beginning date of the course(s).
- To ensure that the OVGS Withdrawal form is filed with the School of Graduate Studies of the Home University and the Host University at the earliest possible date should he/she decide to drop a course at the Host University (see above).
- To arrange to have an official record of his/her final mark sent to the School of Graduate Studies of his/her Home University as soon as the final results of the course(s) are known.
Responsibilities of the Home University:
By signing an OVGS application form, you certify that the student:
- is pursuing a graduate degree as indicated on the form,
- is in good standing at your university,
- requires the specified course(s) to satisfy his/her degree requirements,
- will receive course credit for the course (providing suitable standing is obtained).
Responsibilities of the Host University:
By signing an OVGS application form, you certify that:
- the course(s) specified will be offered during the term(s) indicated,
- the student will be assured a place in the course,
- the student will be identified as a 'Visiting Graduate Student' and will not be reported for formula entitlement (MCTU).
Withdrawal from Course(s):
An official withdrawal form is available in all Graduate Studies offices for Ontario Visiting Graduate Students. The student is responsible for notifying both the Host University Graduate Dean and the Home University School of Graduate Studies of his/her withdrawal at the earliest possible date by completion of the OVGS Withdrawal form. The official withdrawal date is that pertaining to the Host University. Failure to notify the appropriate parties of withdrawal may result in the student being assigned a failing grade for the course.