Why Get Involved With NU Reads?
There are many reasons why our Reading Mentors become involved with NU Reads, but one thing is clear; every Reading Mentor takes away valuable experience that can be applied to various settings from volunteering with the program.
- To gain valuable experience working one-on-one with children aged 4-12
- To utilize various teaching strategies learned through education classes in a setting outside of the classroom and build upon prior experiences working with children
- To take away ideas and practices that can be used in future placements and teaching opportunities
- A way to become actively involved in the greater community of North Bay
How Can You Get Involved With NU Reads?
If you are interested in becoming a NU Reads Reading Mentor, please print off the attached Reading Mentor application form or stop by the NU Literacy Centre to grab a copy and fill it out. Please bring the completed form to the NU Literacy Centre, room R228.
Every Reading Mentor must also show their original police check and provide our office with a copy. When submitting the form, please bring your original and a copy with you.
The following dates are the dates of the scheduled Saturday sessions that take place at the North Bay Public Library. When you fill out the Reading Mentor application form you will indicate which dates you are available to volunteer. You do not have to sign up for every session!
Fall Saturday Sessions (October - December)
Winter Saturday Sessions (January - April)
If you have any questions about becoming a Reading Mentor, please do not hesitate to contact us!
- Call us at 705.474.3450, ext. 4077
- Or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org