Canadore College and Nipissing University are helping to improve access to post-secondary education for youth placed in the care of the Canadian Children’s Aid Society through a tuition waiver. There are up to five tuition and fee waivers available per year to individuals currently or formerly in foster care.
The waivers cover tuition and ancillary fees as well as the cost of the application fee through the Ontario Universities’ Application Centre (OUAC) or the Ontario College Application Service (OCAS), and are renewable for up to four years as long as progression requirements are met. Both high school applicants and mature students are eligible to apply.
To be considered eligible for the tuition waiver, students must:
- Have been placed in the care of a recognized child protection service provider at some point during their lives
- Enroll in an undergraduate program at Nipissing University and maintain at least a 60% course load (40% for students with an identified permanent disability)
- Receive an offer of admission and meet the final conditions on the offer
To take part in this initiative, students must:
- Apply for a full-time undergraduate program at Nipissing University through the Ontario Universities' Application Centre (OUAC).
- Be eligible and apply for OSAP (Ontario students only)
- Complete OSAP’s Verification of Status with Ontario Children’s Aid Society form. If you are applying from another province, complete that province’s grant/loan application and relevant Children’s Aid form.
- Provide a letter from a recognized child protection service provider indicating the length of time for which you have been or were in extended society care.
- Meet progression requirements in each of the four years of your program
This waiver is meant to subsidize the costs of post-secondary study but does not cover residence or other amenities that may be required. The following costs are covered:
- Ontario Universities Application Centre (OUAC) application fee
- Tuition and ancillary fees for one undergraduate program up to four years
Frequently Asked Questions
Are current students who were previously in care eligible?
How do I apply to Nipissing University?
How do I apply for OSAP?
We are here to support you in your transition to university. Explore some of our available supports below.