Nipissing University Alumni Advisory Board
1.1 The purpose of the Nipissing University Alumni Advisory Board (NUAAB) is to act as a liaison between Nipissing University and the alumni. They represent the alumni of Nipissing University.
1.2 The purpose of the Nipissing University Alumni Advisory Board (NUAAB) is to provide advice and feedback to the Board of Governors of Nipissing University on its directions, policies, and services as they affect the Nipissing University community.
2.1 The objectives of the Nipissing University Alumni Advisory Board are to:
- Represent the interests of Alumni;
- Contribute in as many ways as possible to the welfare, prestige and excellence of Nipissing University;
- Support the overall advancement of Nipissing University;
- Encourage and promote a spirit of collegiality and unity among alumni;
- Provide a means for continuing the relationships alumni enjoyed as students;
- Build a culture of philanthropy among the Lakers Family; and,
- Serve as a communications vehicle to the alumni community on the work and plans of Nipissing University and its impact on the alumni community.
3.1 In the event that the NUAAB determines its membership or terms of reference not to be appropriate, it shall have the power to recommend and implement amendments to these Terms of Reference. This requires a two-thirds vote from the board and previous notice to make any changes.
3.2 The NUAAB may strike ad-hoc committees when needed.
4.1 The NUAAB shall consist of a maximum of 13 voting members, preference to representation from community member and staff/faculty member. Diversity with regards to skill, graduation class and community involvement will be evaluated. Each member will have voting rights with the exception of the Alumni Relations Coordinator, Manager of Advancement, Past President, Past Vice-President.
4.2 Membership shall include the following representatives:
- Nipissing University Alumni - 10
- Nipissing University Student Alumni (NUSA) - 1
- Nipissing University Student Union (NUSU) - 1
- Board of Governors Representative – 1
- Past President & Past Vice-President Finance (invited back for 1 year) – 2
- Alumni Relations Coordinator Ex-officio (Act as Secretary/Non-Voting Member) – 1
- Manager of Advancement Ex-officio or designate – 1
4.3 Nipissing University Alumni include graduates from North Bay Normal School, North Bay Teachers’ College, Nipissing University College, and Nipissing University.
4.4 Members serve a three-year term and may stand for a maximum of two consecutive terms.
4.5 An Executive consisting of a President and Vice-President will be nominated and elected at the last regular meeting of the NUAAB every three years. Alumni must hold the Executive positions; the Executive may be re-elected for a maximum of two consecutive terms.
4.6 The commencement of the Board member’s appointment shall be June 1 of each year unless an appointment is made mid-term to replace a vacated position on the Board. The retirement date shall be April 30th of each year.
4.7 Retiring Members/Resignations: A board member may retire and resign at any point via email or verbally at a meeting.
4.8 The commencement of the student representatives' appointment shall be May 1 of each year unless an appointment is made mid-term to replace a vacated position on the Board. The retirement date shall be April 30 of each year.
4.9 Applications may be submitted throughout the year. Applications will be reviewed in the last meeting each year (May).
4.10 Responsibilities of Board Members:
- Attend a minimum of 3 scheduled meetings per year in person, via telephone or video conferencing.
- Attend the Annual Retreat
- Offer service and support at alumni events
- Initiate outreach to alumni and bring questions or suggestions raised by alumni to the NUAAB for discussion
- Attend Homecoming
4.11 Meeting Etiquette:
- Members shall abide by time guidelines, stick to the agenda, and make an effort to guide themselves using the philosophy of “principles before personalities”. Each member will maintain a positive, friendly and open environment where all contributions are welcomed. Members are expected to listen to others without interruption and to speak in turn.
- If three meetings or key events are missed, the President or Executive may ask the member to step down.
5.1 A majority of all voting members in attendance or via proxy shall constitute a quorum for the meetings of the NUAAB.
6.1 The Nipissing University Alumni Advisory Board meets a minimum of 6 times per year including the annual retreat meeting. Succession planning and critical path will be determined at the annual retreat. An agenda for each meeting shall be sent a week prior to the meeting.
6.2 The NUAAB may decide to schedule additional meetings if necessary.
6.3 If required the executives can request votes be conducted via email.
7.1 The Alumni Relations Coordinator, as part of the Advancement Office, will maintain and update the website of all relevant events, services, and information pertaining to the NUAAB.
7.2 The NUAAB reports to the Nipissing University Board of Governors and Senate.
7.3 The NUAAB reports to the Nipissing University Alumni through the various communication channels.
8. BOARD MEMBER JOB DESCRIPTIONS
- Represents the Alumni population at alumni events
- Ensures meeting stays on topic, on time and that all members have opportunity in discussion
- Creates agendas with the assistance of the Office Administrator & Alumni Relations Advisor
- Attend the scheduled Board of Governors meetings (arranges for a replacement from within the Board if attendance is not possible)
- Sits on the Alumni Awards Selection Committee
- Provides budget guidelines and financial reports
- Represents the Alumni population at alumni events
- Speak on behalf of the NUAAB President if they are unable to attend an event
- Assist President in duties and responsibilities
Alumni Relations Coordinator
- Acts as the Recording Secretary for the NUAAB. Responsible for the organization of meeting logistics including taking and distributing meeting agendas and minutes
- Update and advise on Alumni Relations activities and events
- Coordinate the media and promotion submissions with the President and Vice-President
- Assist with event planning
- Coordinate promotional materials
- Coordinate Alumni Award nominations and bring forward to the NUAAB for review and selection
Updated November 2, 2019