Mandatory Health and Safety Training Requirements:
Health and safety training ensures that Nipissing University fulfills its commitment to creating and ensuring safe working environments for the entire Nipissing University community. There are health and safety training requirements for all persons working at Nipissing University whether it is paid work, course work or volunteer work and each have certain training sessions to complete. Please also work with your supervisor to see if other training sessions are required. If working in a lab, there are job-specific training sessions required as well.
Mandatory Training Requirements:
- Ministry of Labour - Health and Safety Awareness Training
- Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA)
- Occupational Health and Safety Act: Harassment in the Workplace
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) 2015
Mandatory Workplace Posters
Job-Specific Training Requirements:
Supervisor Responsibilities and Training Records
What is a supervisor?
Under the Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) a supervisor is anyone who has authority over another person and can direct how that person does work.
What does this mean for a supervisor?
Under OHSA a supervisor has a number of duties and responsibilities. These duties and responsibilities include:
- ensuring that workers follow the law and all University safety rules
- ensuring that all workers have been properly trained. This includes General Health and Safety training as well as job specific safety training.
- ensuring that all workers are advised of any workplace hazard that could affect their health and well-being.
- taking every reasonable precaution in the circumstances to ensure worker health and safety.
Why keep training records?
Anyone who hires and/or supervises a worker or student must keep a record of safety orientation and job specific training records. Training records are an essential part of demonstrating supervisory due diligence in the event of a Ministry of Labour investigation.
Job-Specific training records
- Laboratory Safety Training Records
- Safety Orientation Check-List and Training Record Form
(if the link will not open, please right-click and save to your computer)