POSITION: Peer Academic Leaders
EMPLOYMENT DATES: May to August 13th, 2021
HOURS OF WORK: May to June 11th, 2021 max 5 hrs/week; some weekend work
June 14 to August 13th 8:30 to 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday; some weekend work
RATE OF PAY: $14.25/hour + vacation pay
As a Peer Academic Leader, you will assist with facilitating daytime and occasional on call student success, study skills and learning consolidation sessions for Indigenous learners attending Nipissing University’s summer Indigenous Education Programs. You will assist with preparing, organizing, and leading individualized and small group activities, acting as a mentor and academic coach to students assigned to you. The Peer Academic Leader will concentrate on both social and academic activities as well as provide resources and guidance on lectures, homework, and assignments.
This position will assist with the following:
- Creating a positive learning environment for new and returning learners
- Academic, social support and guidance
- Attending scheduled course lectures, labs, field trips in which participating learners are registered
- Organization and planning of activities related to the peer academic leader program
- Problem solving and decision making with regard to the peer academic leader program
- Set-up, operation and closure of a daily drop in centre
- Compilation and organization of written daily student log reports
- Weekly debrief meetings with peer academic leader program supervisor
- Photocopying of materials for faculty and staff of summer aboriginal programs
- Successful candidates will be required to apply and demonstrate approval for NUWork funding to maintain this position
- A student with an undergraduate degree, BEd students preferred
- Working knowledge of MS Office
- Good interpersonal skills
- Familiarity with Internet and search engines
- Good communication skills
- Good organisational skills
- Previous experience in a one-to-one tutoring or homework club setting
- Must have own transportation
- A negative Criminal Reference Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening is required
For further information regarding the duties and responsibilities of this position, please contact
Chris Hachkowski, Principal of Indigenous Programs at 474-3461, ext. 4368.
All Positions are subject to final budget approval.
To apply for this position please submit a resume and cover letter referencing the position title and three (3) references to email@example.com.
We thank all applicants; however, only those to be considered for an interview will be contacted.
Nipissing University is an inclusive employer and will provide accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code.