POSITION TITLE: Indigenous Student Mentor / Tutor (3 positions)
HOURS OF WORK: Maximum of 35 hours per week
EMPLOYMENT DATES: May – August 30, 2021
RATE OF PAY: $14.25/hour + vacation pay
As a mentor/tutor supporting Indigenous students in transition programs, you will assist with providing support to up to 40 Indigenous students as a peer mentor and academic tutor. Student mentor/tutors will work in a supportive role with students through an online virtual platform-providing, drop in sessions, skill building workshops, social and cultural activities.
Mentor/tutors will provide assistance in program preparation through the development of activity plans, materials and resources. A comprehensive training program will be provided to mentor/tutors in advance of supporting transition program students.
This position will assist with the following:
- Organizing and participating in online events, including orientation, cultural activities, workshops, and drop-in sessions.
- Organizing and preparing of workshop materials.
- Facilitation of daily breakout sessions with students enrolled in transition programs.
- Serving as positive role models and establishing healthy relationships with students.
- Discussing and carrying out activities related to peer mentorship and peer tutoring.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned.
- Experience working with Indigenous peoples, as well as, knowledge and appreciation of Indigenous cultures.
- Ability to effectively problem solve and make decisions regarding questions students may ask about university life.
- Flexibility with work schedule.
- Enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree program at Nipissing University and in good standing.
For further information regarding the duties and responsibilities of this position, please contact the Indigenous Mentorship Coordinator, at 474-3450, ext. 4899 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
All positions are subject to final budget approval.
To apply for this position please submit a resume and cover letter referencing the position number/job title and three (3) references to email@example.com.
We thank all applicants; however, only those to be considered for an interview will be contacted.
Nipissing University is an inclusive employer and will provide accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code.